Tuesday, June 13, 2006

U.S. Loses, Luke Wets Himself



Yesterday was lots of fun for us, and lots of Luke "firsts." Early on I ran up to the pharmacy for Mindy's pain medicine, and spent an hour trying to make sure it was all there. Somehow that seems to be the norm for us. I guess that's what happens when you get "free" healthcare- free being relative when they can do what they want with you whenever they please.



Wow, not to change the subject of this blog, but did you see that U.S.-Czech Rep. soccer game? That was terrible. Luke and I have been avid fans so far of the World Cup, although I think his lack of eye focus prevents him from truly enjoying it. So far we've caught three or four matches. The U.S. looked awful if I do say. I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I have enjoyed the World Cup ever since 1994 (the Lalas-Meola years). I remember playing sports out in the field by my house non-stop that year- I'm sure there's a few of you out there who were out there with me. Ahhh...memories of good times. Then I realize that was 12 years ago and cry. Anyway, just wait till football season starts. And can I tell you how happy I am that the season opener is a Dolphins game? Anyone out there looking for gifts can get Luke a 'Phins jersey...Mindy will come to accept all this one day, I hope.

After watching the U.S. choke, we got him in the bath here at home for the first time. We got a cool baby tub, which was really handy. Since our plumbing in the bathroom is less than ideal (Ft. Riley is an old post, and our house is included in the old part), we did it next to the kitchen sink. We had been given some good advice by the nurses to keep his diaper on until we got to that spot, so he wouldn't pee on us. So of course, he waited until we opened him up to hose us down. Mindy was PIA, but we carried on. Riley was so intrigued once we were drying him off, she even jumped up to sniff this clean smelling little new guy. Luke was not happy about the whole experience, but once we dressed him and bundled him up nice and warm again, he slept very well.















A few hours later, we took him for his first walk outside. We may have walked a 1/4 mile at the most, but Mindy bottle-fed him while we pushed him in the stroller and he seemed ok with it all. I walked Riley while Mindy and her mom pushed Luke. It was a little warm outside, so we cut it short, but it was nice to get Mindy and Luke outside for the first time.





Mindy and her mom love Luke's feet, so here's a shot for the masses:



Once we got back, we took Luke to Chipotle for a burrito. Ok, he didn't get one, but Mindy and I sure did. They had a promotion yesterday where we could get a free burrito with our military ID's. There was a huge line of people with suspiciously short hair, but in all it cost $2.15 for two burritos and two drinks. Randy, eat your heart out, sucker. Luke has a real knack for sleeping through the loudest conditions, and it was no different there, where the music was really loud and the amount of people there only added to it. He was less bothered by the noise than we were. We had met some church friends who are in the Army as well, and afterwards we went out for some ice cream. From there we went to the mall, where Mindy needed to get some nursing-friendly shirts and some other baby things (we can never seem to find the little long sleeve t-shirts that let you fold over the cuffs so he won't scratch his eyes out). We left with a new comforter for our bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol, I like the second to last picture where he looks like he's thinking, "I don't know what just happened to me, but I'm sure glad it is over!"
What a cutie! (at least from here where he can't cry or wet on me) :)