Saturday, May 31, 2008

When the sky takes a picture...

Something that is VERY common to our part of Germany is rain (it rains ALL the time here.) Something that we haven’t seen too much of is actual thunderstorms though…well, until recently. Tonight marked the second thunderstorm we’ve had this week. However, this was probably the first time Luke was enthralled with the rain falling outside the window. He had just wiggled his own foot in his Cars shoe (on the wrong foot, but he did it all by himself…he’s growing up too fast!) and caught sight of the huge rain drops pelting the glass of our kitchen window. He pointed a very curious finger and looked at me with those big blue eyes that held the question, "What is that!?" I told him it was rain and then explained that it was water falling from the sky. I then had to go attend to Will because he was crying, but once I got him calmed down I turned to notice Luke just starring out the livingroom window at the rain. He kept repeating, “wain” over and over again.

At first he thought the rumbling thunder that accompanied the rain was a plane (the Air Force seems to use our air space as a training field…there are jets and planes flying over us constantly) but once I told him it was thunder, he seemed to understand the difference in sound. Now lightening on the other hand…when there was a flash, I would say, “lightening.” At first he didn’t really respond to it – but then I noticed he started saying “mile” (smile) every time there was a flash of lightening. At first I thought it was because I had just taken his picture…but then I noticed the continuing theme…every time there was a lightening flash – he exclaimed, “mile!” Wow – I guess I DO take a lot of pictures... since Luke seems to think a flash of lightening from outside is his picture being taken!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here reading your blog in the middle of a thunderstorm with lots of thunder, lightening, and rain. It has calmed down a little. However, we needed the rain! Thanks for sharing Luke's special moments. Love to all - Aunt Lois

Anonymous said...

How cute! I love the connections they make at this age! Love you guys!

--Jenny

Barb said...

I love it! Aren't they amazing?

Teniah Ashlyn said...

The "flash" thing was cracking me up! He's a funny little dude.....Must keep you entertained!

Monica said...

AWWWW! I can just hear him!