Monday, May 05, 2008

Sometimes only Daddy will do!

Though today was a fairly good day for the most part, Luke missed Daddy a lot. He brought me Chris’s shoes, pointed out “daddy’s” coffee cup, talked to him on his play phone, repeated his name over and over again…he just really missed daddy today. Then, as I checked on him tonight, I saw that he had gone over to his shelf, got daddy’s picture and put it in bed with him – how sweet is that! So now he’s sleeping soundly with the closest thing he can get to daddy for now – his picture.
Here are some other ways Luke can connect with Daddy:

Chris read a ton of stories on video before he left. Luke likes to watch them – or just listen to his voice as he plays in the living room. Sometimes I’ll just let all the stories play – when it’s over, Luke will say, “Daddy, gin (again)?” And we’ll play them all again.

Jenny made this awesome quilt that has pictures of Chris on it. When we make up Luke’s bed, he loves seeing Daddy on his “inkit” (blanket.) Thanks Jenny! =)

We look at the map and globe and Luke will ask, “Daddy go? Rack?” And I’ll show him where it is on the map or globe. Then we’ll talk about how daddy had to go to keep us safe.


We keep this picture of Chris in Luke’s room on his shelf. Luke LOVES it. We sit it on the bed when we say our prayers; he kisses it and will talk to it and even “play” with it.


I saved pictures of Chris and Luke together on my camera. Almost every time I get the camera out to take a picture, Luke runs over to see daddy in the camera.

If Chris calls – Luke likes to say a few things in the phone – I think he mostly likes to hear daddy’s voice. I can’t wait until we can webcam! I think that’ll help Luke out a lot.

So, though it’s sad to see how much Luke misses daddy – especially on these days where it’s very evident – it’s also heartwarming to see how much Luke loves his daddy. They are two peas in a pod – that’s for sure! =)

8 comments:

Steve and Judy said...

I'm glad I'm home alone,because I just found myself sobbing out loud! Then I thought how we always make fun of Chris because he can be all by himself (he thinks) and laugh out loud at something funny. So if I'm not careful, I'll find myself laughing and crying (in hysterics like a crazy lady)!Anyway, I'm so thankful Luke loves his daddy so much-that shows what a terrific father our son is! I'll be there in a few days and hopefully help distract Luke from his "daddy sickness!"

MEME

Anonymous said...

Ahh - Min - how sweet/sad! Chris is a great dad - and you are a great mom! I am praying for you guys!

--Jenny

Anonymous said...

That quilt is awesome! It's pretty amazing that you and Chris have come up with so many ways for Luke to stay connected with Chris.

I love the picture of Luke and Chris. It's so sweet and they both look so happy.

Sorry it's tough. I know love will get all of you through this separation.

Take care,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Randy just shared this with April & I. April's still drying her eyes. My heart goes out to your family as well. Let's bring him home soon - safely.

~Mike & April (with Randy)

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! MA

Anita said...

Mindy and Chris - I am amazed at the mind of an almost two year old. To know how to find ways to "stay close" to daddy - when daddy is so far away. We are praying for you both during this next year. For safety, courage, strength, and peace.
Anita, Chris and Fam

Josh and Annie said...

What a wonderful post! I almost cried, it is so sweet. Luke is so blessed to have such loving parents, and Chris is blessed to have a son that loves him so much!!

I love how you have helped Luke to connect with Chris. The book reading is what really made me cry - how sweet of him to do that so Luke can hear him anytime he wants!

And I love the pics of Will sucking his thumb, how adorable!
annie

Rae said...

Mindy,
Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day! Thank you for your dedication, sacrifice and selflessness!!! Please give your bug-a-boo's a special squeeze too as they also make such sacrifices with having their daddy away!!!