Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Haircut...

So, we’ve been trying to get Luke’s hair cut for ages. We’ve managed to do it with the clippers once…and that was in Georgia. However, every time we’ve tried since that time, he’s freaked out BIG time. We finally gave up and made an appointment at the salon on post…thinking maybe an experienced beautician could cut it with scissors – or maybe give the clippers another go. What was I thinking?! Luke and I walked into the salon – so far so good. I put him in the booster seat – and that’s when he started freaking out. He was screaming and squirming and throwing a tantrum fit for a two year old. So – I picked him up and tried to comfort him. Then we tried having him sit on my lap. The second the guy tried to put the cape on him – he went ballistic again. We tried everything to get him calm…and keep him calm, but to no avail. I had his favorite book there, we looked and talked about all the animals on the cape, I hugged and comforted him…nothing worked. Finally the beautician said he didn’t think he should even attempt to cut his hair. So, we left…scraggly hair and all. He said I could bring him back in a day or two if he was in a good mood and we could try again…but I know there’s no way Luke will act any differently.

It was back in Chris and my hands again. So, tonight, before Luke got his bath, we tried the clippers again. We decided to do things differently. Luke and I hung out in the dining room while Chris got the clippers oiled and ready in the bathroom. He would buzz the clippers here and there – and I would tell Luke it was a bumble bee (Luke LOVES bees right now.) So I would buzz like a bee every time we heard the clippers running in the bathroom. That got him excited about bees and the buzzing sound of the clippers. After that, I put in one of his DVD’s, found his little stuffed bumble bee, and Chris brought the clippers into the dining room. At first we just turned the clippers on and off (as I buzzed like a bee with the clippers), let him hold the clippers, and then we gave his little stuffed bee a haircut. By that time, Luke was holding the clippers to his own head wanting a hair cut too. So – I held Luke, Luke held his stuffed bee, and Chris cut his hair. Luke wanted his little bee to get a new haircut every whipstitch, but for the most part, sat very still, leaning his head toward Chris and the clippers. It was amazing! Who would have thought that a bee would make a haircut possible?! =) So here are the before and after pics:

Before:


After:


(Luke is hurtling himself on Chris in this picture...look at the mischievousness in his eyes!)

And, the Bee that made it all possible:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creative!

Anonymous said...

Dad says "the beehive haircut must be back!" We are impressed with your creativity. I can see "Deja vu" with Our little Christopher about 28 years ago! Wait till Luke decides he can only use Crest toothpaste like his Daddy who hasn't used anything else since he was 2!

Anonymous said...

Ha! That's awesome! I'm so glad he sat still for you! Jamie sits still...however, his barber is not nearly as talented as Luke's is! I am impressed with Chris's hair cutting abilities...a new career path maybe? Hope you guys are doing great! We love you.

--Jenny and Jamie

Monica said...

WOW!! Put me down as being so impressed with your creativity as well. I'm AMAZED!!