Wednesday, January 09, 2008

39 weeks (- 1 day) update

Just a TMI (too much information) alert for the first part of the blog. If the word “cervix” makes you squeamish, then skip down to the second paragraph! =)

Today I had my 39 week appointment. I figured all they wanted was my blood pressure and measurements, but when I got there, they also offered to strip my membranes (which is a procedure where they separate the bag of water from your cervix.) So, I agreed – knowing that it would only help if the baby is really ready to come. I’ve heard it has helped jumpstart some – and others say it didn’t do anything. For me – it didn’t end up doing anything, but that just means the baby isn’t ready to come. It wasn’t the most pleasant experience – but pain is to be expected in any aspect of this thing called labor. =) I was measuring right at 39 weeks and the doctor said my cervix was still really thick, but I was slowly getting to 2cm – but now quite there. It'll be awhile still.

When she checked Baby Bee's heartbeat, she noticed it was elevated. Normally he’s at 140, today he was up at 175. I knew it was because my heart rate was high (I’ve had heart palpitations and heart racing my entire life.) Nevertheless, she wanted me to have a NST (Non Stress Test) just to make sure the baby was ok. Chris and I both knew it was nothing – in fact I told him as we were heading up to Labor and Delivery (where they do the test) that his heart rate was probably so high because mine was. They got me all hooked up – my heart rate was crazy – up and down – alarms kept going off – it was nuts. It’s fairly normal for me to experience this though…I may get it looked into after the baby comes though. Anyway, Baby Bee’s heart rate was high for awhile, but it finally went back down in the 140’s-150’s. They took blood to make sure all was well on that front, which it was. So all in all, after a 2 hour NTS, the results were that Baby Bee’s heart rate was elevated because mine was. Did we call it or what! =) So all is well.

There is nothing at this point that indicates going into labor soon. I’m still a bit high, and any contractions I have go nowhere. I have managed to gain 3 more pounds though – hehehe! =) I don’t even know where they came from because my appetite is so spotty. I think my stomach is so squished that it doesn’t know what to do anymore…that and my bladder! I go every other minute now! =) So that’s the update – I’ll post a picture too.

Well, I’m exhausted – I don’t think I can type another word. I hope you all have a wonderful day!


38 weeks and 6 days...pretty much 39 weeks.=)

Luke needed a hug - I thought this picture was funny because I didn't realize how big of a ledge I gave him to hang out on! =)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look great, Min! I had to laugh...is that your birthing ball in the picture??? I'm glad your NST went well. We are praying for your delivery! We love you!

Jenny and Jamie

Amber said...

Yay...you look so cute. I love you! Hugs and kisses.

Teniah Ashlyn said...

I have to say that after reading the ordeals with haircutting, and then seeing your newest picture I am once again in total awe and admiration for you and all moms out there! You totally rock my world....I don't know how you do it!! =) You are looking great, and I know you can go from 2cm to delivery in the next two days - I know you can do it!! haha...(I'm still hoping for the 12th!)

I'm thinking about you and knowing that you have what it takes to hang in there a little bit longer......Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

I have to be honest, I saw the word cervix, threw up a little in my mouth and the moved straight to the pictures! Mom is excited to see you!

Uncle Randy

Josh and Annie said...

You look amazing!

I love that pic of you and Luke. I'm glad the NST went well, but sorry to hear that it seems like nothing is happening....must be exhausting

God bless you
Annie

Teniah Ashlyn said...

Okay, Mindy, this is it - start getting ready to push...I only have 12 hours left for my bet!!!! Yikes....(Too bad I wasn't betting on my cousin's wife - she had her baby this morning - almost four weeks early! The baby girl is little, but perfectly fine....)

Seriously, though, how are you feeling? Keep us posted on how you are progressing and what the latest is - I just wonder how you are....Thinking about you a LOT this week....LOVE YOU!