Saturday, July 05, 2008

Busy, busy, shockingly busy - more than a bumble bee more than a bat!

Wow – this has been a busy week! I’ve been trying to play catch-up this weekend – but I don’t think I’m doing very good. =) I’ve probably gotten about half of my to-do list done…but half is better than none at all! Anyway, here is an update on what’s been going on and the boys!

Luke still refuses to put any weight on his left leg. He’ll pull himself up on his right leg – but won’t stand on that leg long either. After some reading and research, I think he may have sustained a “Toddler Fracture.” I never did get a final diagnosis from any of the doctors we saw. They just told me they couldn’t see a fracture on the X-rays…which I have read is REALLY common in a Toddler Fractures. Also common is lack of swelling and bruising…both of which Luke didn’t experience much of. He had a tiny bit of swelling and bruising, but nothing that would suggest a sprain or torn ligament. It has now been over a week since he has walked.

He gets around amazing well in the house. He is a crawling pro – and can even get up on the couch and in his booster seat by himself. I am constantly amazed at how he adjusts and keeps going. He’s an incredible little boy!

Going out is a bit more challenging. I am SO far out of shape – it’s not even funny. I suppose carrying Luke, Will in his car seat and the diaper bag (backpack) around is at least helping me get some upper body strength. Luke is 30 pounds – Will is close to 20 pounds – the car seat is probably 5 or 6 pounds and the backpack is maybe 3 pounds. That’s close to 60 pounds! No wonder my arms are sore! =) I have tried not to let his injury stop us from going out. Now more than ever he needs a change of scenery and fun things to do. We still go to playgroup as much as possible – and we run errands and go for walks as much as we can. Fresh air is always a good thing.

I do have to say that I’ve been extremely disappointed with our healthcare experience. Other than the ER doctor at Landstuhl – it’s been an incredibly frustrating experience – especially the whole referral process. I’m not even going to start writing about that…we’d be here all day! I just pray we don’t have to be referred out again.

In other Luke news:

Finally – he has an appetite again! YAY! He talks more clearly and more in-depth with each passing day. I am still amazed that we can have a conversation now! He has started referring to himself as “Lukey”…something I’m guilty of calling him. Sorry Chris. He likes to identify what things belong to him…Will…and me. He’ll say, “Lukey’s twain (train)” “Will’s highchair” and “Mommy’s cofvee (coffee.)”

He LOVES trucks, cars, tractors, construction vehicles, trains, motorcycles – anything with wheels! He has spent much of his playtime at home playing with these toys. He gets super excited when he sees any of these vehicles outside – the real thing! It’s so fun to look at these things through his eyes. Something I take for grated, he sees as an adventure.

Something I find hilarious is that he asks his toys if they’re “kay?” If he falls or hits his head or something, I’ll ask him if he’s ok. Now – if one of his toy trucks falls over – he’ll say, “twuck, kay?”

Something else that cracks me up is when he’s looking for something he’ll say, “Bug go?” Then when he finds it he’ll say, “There it is!” in a really excited voice.

Though he is much rougher with Will than he used to be (something that doesn’t seem to bother Will in the least…I guess it bothers me more than either of them! HA!) he still LOVES to be with him. When Will wakes up in the morning – he’ll run (well, crawl right now) into the room yelling, “Will’s wake!! Will’s wake!” If Will’s crying, he’ll tell me, “Will’s cwying…” and too Will he’ll say, “What woong Will?”

They love to roll around with each other on the floor. Will likes to suck on Luke’s head or arms…to which Luke laughs uncontrollably. The best is when they make each other laugh – there is nothing more soothing to my heart than hearing my boys laughing and having fun with each other.

It’s not always fun and games though. There are many times where both boys want my attention at the same time. It these moments, Luke will say, “Will down” or “Will jungeroo (jumperoo.)

One of Luke’s favorite phrases is, “Mommy do it.” This could be said in reference to pretty much anything – getting food on his fork, picking up his sippy cup, getting something from under the couch. I try to encourage him to do the things I know he can do by saying, “Lukey do it” or "you do it." Now – when he wants to do something on his own, he’ll say, “Lukey do it.”

Something that we’ve been trying to work on is his constant whining. He is a BIG whiner. Though he’s had good reason to whine a lot lately – constant illnesses and now his leg injury – it seems to have become his main avenue of communication. So, we’re in the process of working on that.

Last week Luke learned what a shadow was. He was very excited to see our shapes on the wall. Now every time he sees a shadow he excitedly proclaims, “shadow!” He’ll even say, “Mommy shadow!” or “Bu-bye shadow” when it fades away…=)

Last night I finally got up the nerve to give him a haircut. I was really dreading it. Thankfully, he did AWESOME! I’m so excited to know that this is something I can do on my own. I was afraid I’d have to have someone hold on to him – but he proved to be a really big boy. I am so proud!

Will:

Will is becoming his own little person. His voice has starting taking on it’s own unique sound. I love it! It’s such a sweet sounding voice. He talks all the time, “mmmmm,” “ahhblablablab,” “mahmahmah” – and of course all kinds of “aahhhhs” and coo’s and spits and raspberries.

Crawling is just around the corner. He is constantly on his knees now. He’ll rock back and forth – or pull his leg out to the side or back. He gets around amazingly well. I think it’s about time to do a little baby proofing. It’ll be any day now!

Will still has trouble taking naps during the day. He sleeps pretty good at night (after 10pm or so) – though he still wakes up to eat a lot, but he usually goes right back to sleep. So, now we just need to work on getting him on a consistent daytime sleep schedule.

Today I put the crib together for him. He’s been sleeping in the pack-n-play, co-sleeper and my bed. I was trying to hold off as long as I could – thinking the ERD would go through soon – but it was apparent that I needed to put it up for him. Thankfully, Chris was a genius when he took the crib down. He left all the screws in their designated places – so other than fixing the droprail that had been recalled – I just had to put the pieces together and tighten screws. Thanks for being so smart honey! =) Will is loving the crib. I’ll have to take some pictures of him in it soon.

Will’s favorite toys right now are his hands, feet, and anything he’s not supposed to have. =) I might as well pack his toys away because he much prefers Luke’s. Some of Luke’s toys are fine for him – but others have smaller parts and I’m afraid of him getting ahold of. So with his growing mobility, I have to keep an eagle eye on what he’s stuffing in his mouth. Not to mention that I have to make sure Luke isn't sneaking him food!

Just this week he found the fun of smacking his highchair tray, floor and his toys with his hands. He raises his arm up really high and ‘WHAM’ down on the tray or floor. It’s pretty funny to watch! He’ll do it over and over again.

He’s really into grabbing things – hair, paper, my coffee cup…pretty much everything. He’s a pincher too! He’s pinched my arm real good a few times – ouch! He’s got the grip of iron!

Will is an incredibly sweet natured baby. He gives me hugs when I pick him up (at least he wraps his arms around my neck…and I like to believe its hugs), he loves to touch my face, smiles so beautifully that it melts my heart – he’s just so so so sweet!


Chris is doing as well as he can in the middle of a desert. He really misses home, but is muddling through this deployment counting down the days until he can get back. I think he’s working on a blog – but it’s not very easy for him to post out there. Continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers. I know he really appreciates it!

Well, this post is WAY longer than I initially thought it would be…and I haven’t even hit everything that’s been going on around here! To say it’s been busy is an understatement! =) I’ll save the rest for another post. Here are some pics!


Picture Time!

Luke is sometimes a wee bit rough with Will. One of his favorite things to do is completely roll over him. Interestingly enough, Will doesn't seem to be phased at all! Me on the other hand - well, I tend to freak out a bit. I'm so afraid that he will unintentionally hurt Will in his rough play. There have been some timeouts - some stern "talkings" too. And still - roughhousing! I guess this is what I have to look forward too with two boys so close in age! Eeeek! =) Anyway, here Luke is using Will as a pillow.

The weather here is crazy. One day it's 90 degrees the next it's in the 50's or 60's. The kids needed a bit of fresh air, so I walked them down to the playground. Believe it or not - on a July afternoon, I had to put jackets on them! The day before they were sweating in shorts! We didn't stay long since Luke wasn't able to really play on anything...and he didn't want to crawl on the turf becuase of all the ants. So I pushed them both in the swings and then we went home.



"can't you make me fly again mommy...do we really have to go home?"


This is what Luke calls his band-aid...

Since Will took over Luke's grover stuffed animal that was supposed to be from Daddy to Luke, Chris sent Luke another toy. It's a toy lawnmower and Luke LOVES it! And - there's no chance of Will taking it over...yet. =) Even though Luke can't walk yet - he pushes the lawnmower around just fine.
Here he's "feeding" the lawnmower books...


Overalls! I had to get a few shots of Will in his overalls. Babies look so cute in overalls!
Waiting for daddy to come home so they can play golf together...

As a treat to Luke, I brought up the stuffed animals I had saved as a child. He thought it was great fun! Here he is trying to put as many on his lap as he could...believe me...there are so many more! I suppose I should sort them out - but so many of them have sentimental value!

Going to the commissary with both boys is a challenge. Luke actually does pretty good most of the time. Will however…hates his car seat. Usually I try to go once a week so that I can fit both kids AND the groceries in the cart. This works for the most part – Luke sits up front – Will’s car seat goes in the back – and the groceries are carefully put around the car seat. It wouldn’t be a big deal if Will liked his car seat! =) Usually as we journey down aisle 2 or 3, Will starts screaming. Well – I think I may have found a solution. I normally don’t buy chips (if they’re in the house…I’ll eat them all!) but I was in the mood for some chips and salsa. So I picked up a bag. I had put it at Will’s feet. He kicked at it and LOVED the crinkly sound it made. He played with the bag the ENTIRE time. It was fantastic! The clerk who checked us out even gave it back to him after he scanned it. Will ended up falling asleep on the way back…with his bag of chips firmly secured in his arms…


Here are some pics of the boys goofing off...




Smile!

Will is doing awesome at sitting by himself...

I have a blanket on my head!

More play!


I'm posting this picture soley for his cute chubby thigh. Why can't the fat on my thighs look that cute?!

Who did Luke get these long lashes from?!

6 comments:

allisonoakleysmith said...

min....love the pic - and enjoyed the catch up on things...though i got a lot of scoop last week from judy...love to you all...praying your will be back sooooon!!!
xoxo

Leslie said...

Ok, I just googled "toddler fracture constant whining" and got your blog. I have a 26 month old, Jake, who was diagnosed a week ago with a toddler fracture, plus Jake has a younger brother born just 5 weeks ago, although it looks like your Will is a bit older than 5 weeks :) I don't have much to offer other than the fact that Jake would not walk on it, had only slight swelling, no bruising. We came down the slide together and his foot got caught under him...the most common playground injury for his age I was told by the orthopedist. Anyway, Jake was doing great the first week in his boot/walking cast but since Sunday has been whining and crying almost constantly. Mommy is losing what was left of my post-pardom mind. So I've just left a message for the orthopedist to see if maybe something new is wrong. However, my gut says that his 2-yr teeth are coming in, he is adjusting to his new brother, and he has realized that complaining about the leg gets attention...sigh. What is a mom to do? I hope Luke gets up and going soon. The doc said that my Jake will only have to be in this cast for 2-3 weeks and that it heals pretty fast typically so hopefully both of these guys will be back to normal boys soon!

Andrea said...

Will looks so cute sitting up! That is a fun age.

I hope that the leg will heal soon. Health care is definitely an issue. We waited 5 weeks to get a sports/wellness physical a few months ago at Landstuhl. I definitely like the krankenhaus option. We went to the one in Kusel when one of the boys split open his chin in the tub.

Unknown said...

Hey Min -

I love all the pictures. They are so cute! Will is going to be catching up to Luke soon. I can't believe he is almost crawling already. Avery is not even close - which is a good thing! Wasn't Luke an early crawler too? Thanks for the update. I love hearing what they are doing.

Miss you all!
Holly

*Austin Mommy* said...

Hey Mindy -
Thanks for commenting on my blog. It was great to hear from you. Also, it's great to read yours stuff, too. I can't even imagine life with just you parenting right now - craziness! I'm really proud of you for just doing it - getting out the house with the boys, and remaining sane through it all - must be tough sometimes! These pics are gorgeous of the boys! Can't wait to meet Will in person someday. Have I even met Luke yet?? My how time flies. Anyway, great to hear from you, and I'm glad to have found your blogs again.
Blessings to you!
Ang

Barb said...

Min,

Could there be a cuter picture of Will than the smiling swing? I *love* it! Also love the 2 creases on Will's thigh. Max has 1 and I just love it. Evidence that he's a healthy growing boy. I can't believe Will is almost crawling. WOW! He's ready to go.

I hope Luke's leg heals soon - at least to the point where he feels fine putting some pressure on it. It's got to be rough on you. I'm so amazed at all you do on your own with both of these little fellas. You rock!

Hugs to you all. Hope you can be in Maryland soon. May sound like a silly question but have you tried writing your Congresspeople for help with the ERD, etc? I'll send an email with some info.

Barb