Saturday, May 02, 2009

Melting into the floor...

Have you ever had one of those moments where you wish you could just melt away into the floor? Well I had one of those very amusing - quite embarrassing moments today.

Today was a very busy day - lots of running around and entertaining the boys - and now finally a chance to sit down and take a breath...at 10pm! Better late than never! Annnnnyway, one of the to-do's today was to get my hair cut. I had tried numerous times to get into my regular hairdresser, but she was booked up - and I was pretty desperate to get my hair cut. So, I called another salon and was able to get an appointment. The hairdresser that worked on my hair had some extra time and really spent a good amount of time helping me get and learn how to maintain healthy hair. My hair always feel so fried!

So after the cut, a deep conditioning treatment and a style, I went to the counter to pay. The hairdresser and receptionist were excitedly telling me how much they liked how my hair turned out. I was eating it up because it is extremely rare - short of maybe my wedding up do, a few times my friends did my hair and a cute haircut I got at Fort Riley - that I get compliments on my hair. So as I'm looking down to write in the tip and put away my receipt my hairdresser says, "Oh you look so beautiful!" Extremely flattered, I begin to answer with a thank you - but just as the word "thank" audibly slipped through my mouth, I notice that someone else has come to stand and pay at the desk...a pretty young girl who just got her hair fixed for prom....and that was who the compliment was being aimed! So what do you do when you've just answered to a compliment - especially one so flattering - that was not meant for you?!

I "ohhhed" and "awwwed" over the pretty girl's hair with the other ladies - while secretly wishing I could just melt into the floor. =) Then I left as quickly as I could while I poked fun of myself in my head. The only thing that would have made the whole thing more funny is if Chris would have been there to witness it...he would have never let me live it down!! =)

So - what I've learned today. Always make eye contact and be certain that a compliment is being given to you before answering!

So, am I the only one that's had an embarrassing situation lately? Please tell me I'm not the only one who wants to melt into the floor every now and again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not the only one! I remember, back in my younger years when I had horses, hearing a "cowboy" say that "she was sure a good rider!" I turned and said "Thank you!" (Cause I thought I was a good rider, too!) He then said,"I wasn't talking about you, I meant so-and so!" Was I embarrassed - and I couldn't leave cause he was in MY barn. And, of course, I really didn't think so-and-so was such a good rider anyway! MA

chris said...

I already told you mine... :)

Teniah Ashlyn said...

The funny thing is that I do so many stupid and humiliating things every single day that I really don't get embarrassed that much anymore! I totally understand how you must have felt, and no doubt that I've been there before (probably so many times that it's why I can't remember an exact instance!)

Oh, I also want to see pictures of your totally fabulous haircut too!!

Amber said...

Hm...There are just too many to tell. The next one that happens (which will probably be tomorrow) I'll let you know. However, I DO want to see pictures of this FABULOUS hair!

Cherry said...

Nothing embarrassing lately. But I am the person who nearly amputated her own baby toe twice!