Saturday, May 26, 2007

Is anyone here a marine biologist?

"The sea was angry that day, my friends..."

Well, this is the first post in non-chronological order of the events of the past few days. Mindy's parents arrived late Wednesday night (just toward the end of Lost, but don't anyone panic- I caught it all) (That was for Mindy- "You are not gonna ignore my parents for a TV show!"). We pretty much hung out all day Thursday, after the graduation ceremony for my class- I'll post the pictures from that in another post so those of you out there who either don't know me or care about my life can skip it if you want. I'm pretty flexible like that.

Anyway, we went back to the zoo in Columbia, SC for a couple hours on Friday. It was a good time had by all, and rather than write a big post, I'll just comment on the pictures.


This is the group looking at the toucans. There was a bird in this area that cools itself off by pooping on its own feet. It was pretty hot out there, but at no point was I tempted to poop on my feet.


This was our attempt at a family photo. Luke was really fussy. He is still getting over his sickness, but we thought getting out would do him some good. He was whiny (and still is) but feeling and acting better.


This is my reaction to the rude person who walked in front of our picture, right before we took the last one. I made several snide remarks right after this, which earned me a glare and a "Chris!" from my wife.


Mindy, Luke, and the proud grandparents. They haven't seen Luke since Christmas (except on here) and have been having lots of fun with him...well, when he isn't whining or crying or throwing a temper tantrum. Then he's all ours.


Mindy fed the goats while Luke looked on. Last time we were there he helped feed them, but he was in no mood to do it that day. This reminds me of a story. In college, Mindy would make me go with her to feed some pygmi goats out at Perry Farm in Bradley. We would have to go to the store, buy a bag of baby carrots, and then drive over there to feed some goats who get fed multiple times a day. Obviously, I was in love.


Grandpa and Luke checking out the wallabys. Luke is a total grandpa's boy...he loves both of his Grandpa Steves, and won't leave their sides when he's around them. I'm going to try to convince them to use their magical powers to teach him some practical skills (like mowing the lawn, changing the oil, etc) that I can use to my own benefit.


Luke got out of his stroller and checked out the wallaby on his own. He was trying to reach through the fence to see them. One tried to bite his arm, but we wrestled it to the ground before anything bad could happen. OK, that last part was a lie.


Luke proceeded to walk out of the wallaby area (I just like that word if you can't tell) and venture around the zoo. Well, at least the 50 square foot area nearby. He found a dirty pine cone and carried it around with him for awhile before we could pry it away and toss it back in the bushes.


All the big cats were in their caves since it was so hot. Luke grabbed the chicken wire and shook it to call them out, but they were obviously afraid of him.

Grandpa Steve pointing out the monkeys. No, I was not standing right in front of them.


Luke has this fascination with glasses, all kinds. He will grab them off your face if he can get to them. So what do we do? Encourage it, of course. Hey, I never said we were good parents. This is Mindy putting her sunglasses on Luke. He had a big grin on his face the whole time.


One righteous dude...


Grandma held Luke for a little while near the baboon display. This reminds me of a story. One time in college...oh wait, I shouldn't tell that one.


Luke has been having a blast with his grandpa. See, he's teaching him to drive.


This is Luke's newest pop-up book, which he loves. And destroys...in fact, the night we brought it home, Luke had pulled out the tab on one page and ripped up the mechanism that makes it pop up. This is why we can't have nice things.
Next post: Chris graduates on time, for once!

No comments: