Thursday, November 13, 2008

I'm Back, Baby!

Wow, this place has really changed since I was last here…

Many of you are probably wondering where I’ve been. Others, maybe not really wondering at all. Either way, I am back and ready to blog again.

I think the last time I wrote, I was firmly ensconced at FOB Hammer, Iraq, a quiet little dust bowl east of Baghdad. There I stayed until one day, our dear leaders decided that Iraq was coming around and maybe the surge should end (but that we should still be here for 15 months anyway). Long story short, we have moved to Camp Striker, just a small portion of the gargantuan base near the Baghdad airport. It’s been quite a change, going from quaint FOB Hammer to here…there’s a road to rival any big city street just near where I work, and I toy daily with being run over. There’s a ton more to do here- I still haven’t gone everywhere yet, so I have a lot more exploring to do. Right now I’m more concerned with 1) Where is the DFAC, 2) Where is the laundry facility, and 3) Where is the latrine. So far so good- I have answers to all those questions, so I am branching out over the next few weeks/months to find the fun stuff to do. As you can see I also have better internet access here; it’s actually in my room. The government is no fun and blocks stuff like Blogger and Facebook, so I usually come back at night and check them, as well as webcam back home to Min and the boys (and mom and dad) every few days. It’s pretty nice, although I feel like I’m back in garrison, only I work more and my family is thousands of miles away.

My work routine is relatively the same; with the move I have been busier, but at the end of the night I usually find time for tomfoolery. There’s a constant stream of football near my desk- college, NFL, and the sweetness of AFN replays- so that is a nice distraction. Any future employer should not read those two sentences, by the way; they in no way represent my work ethic. I need a job upon my departure from the Army, so just ignore those please!

I am still desperately missing my wife and kids, so it’s great to see them on the webcam now. I actually had a conversation with Luke the other day- it’s amazing to see how much he and Will have changed since I left. When we deployed, Will was about 2 months old…now he’s on the verge of walking!

Hopefully I will be blogging more as time goes on from here, catching you all up on the greatness that is a deployment to Iraq.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for internet access! I'm glad you are more connected now - and glad to hear how you are doing. We are praying for you!

--Jon, Jenny and Jamie

mindy said...

I'm so glad you're able to rejoin the blog world! Yay! =) We love and miss you babe!

Amber said...

It's so good to "hear" from you. Stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris
I know it seems like forever since you've been with your family, but just hang in there. Each day brings you closer to home. I pray for you often, be safe....Uncle Brian