Monday, October 13, 2008

Deployments are...hard.

As most of you know, my better half is serving a long deployment in Iraq. Last week we hit the 6 month mark. I wish I could say that we're half way through...but we're not. *sigh*

God has been so good to us through this time. But it's still a hard, lonesome road. It's hard to be separated. It's hard to see what Chris is missing - and it's hard to know that the boys are missing their daddy.

I am sad that Chris and I are apart - but am more saddened that the boys and him are apart. Every time they learn something new -every time they do something cute - every time they need more than I can give - I wish I could share it with him. Sure I can pull out the camera or video camera and send him pictures and videos. "Hey honey, Will is pulling up like a pro - hey babe, listen how well Luke speaks..." And that's great - it's really really great (as I know those who have served in past wars didn't get that sort of availability to pictures and videos from home)... but it's sadly still not the same as actually being there to experience it.

As the father and husband he is, I know Chris's heart is broken. I know he longs to hold and know his children. His sacrifice is great - and I just wanted to say how very VERY proud I am of him. He doesn't want to be away - but he has to be - we have no control of it. He has provided an amazing service and sacrifice for this country...and also for our children. So I just wanted to say a big Thank You to the love of my life. Chris, we love you and miss you - and can't wait for you to come home!

And - just to prove that these deployments really do end - here's a little video of our last one. I look at this video and see God's faithfulness. It reminds me that though the road may be long...God is with us all along the way - and there is an end in sight! =)

13 comments:

Anita said...

Ok - that was a tearjerker!! I pray that God will continue to keep Chris safe and give you and the boys peace while he is away.

Amber said...

Wow...that was hard to watch, but I am glad you shared that. You have been in my prayers for the past 6 months, and you will be in them for the rest of the deployment (and beyond). Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Honeybee said...

Your blog and the video bring back memories--the goodbyes, the loneliness, the hellos. Your uncle served in Viet Nam for 11 months during which his oldest son went from 1 1/2 years to 2 1/2 years old, and his second son was born. Though he returned to us safely 35 years ago, I will never forget. We pray for your family.

Anonymous said...

Great job! I pray for you guys too! Autumn

Unknown said...

Wow, should have gone with the waterproof mascara...

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. My prayers are with you, Chris, & the boys.
Pam

kimberly said...

oh my goodness. sniff.
I still can't get over how much luke looks just like chris.

Annie said...

Oh wow, what an emotional video! I shouldn't watch things like that when I am pregnant :)

God has blessed you all so much and he will continue to.

And on a funnier note: Throughout the video I kept thinking "WOW! Look how long her hair was!" LOL I never knew you when it was that long, so it was kind of a shock.

God bless
annie

Anonymous said...

Iam reading this with tears flowing. Your family is so special to me. I do pray for Chris's safety and God's protection. Aren't God's hugs wonderful when we need them the most!! Love you, Aunt Lois

Andrea said...

Hang in there! You are doing a great job of keeping things documented for him! I wish I had a blog when Allen was on his remote...oh well. I was happy to get pictures taken at that time...

Anonymous said...

Ya know...I don't get choked up very often but that video kinda got to me. Keep up the faith my brother, you will be home soon...Todd(Patty, Luke, and Lydia too)

Anonymous said...

Mindy,
Thanks for sharing this video. I remember when our fourth child returned from Afghanistan. Quite an emotional morning. Davids died had already entered his eternal home in heaven so the emotions were wild as we stood and watched the soldiers enter that Tom had the best seat in the house! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the reminder that GOD IS FAITHFUL!

Lori