Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter Part 2

I was thinking about some of my favorite Easter memories and thought I would share a few on the blog.

I can remember as a child sitting around our kitchen table in our cozy little house with a pot full of hard boiled eggs, cups of food coloring water and egg cartons. It was always so much fun to gather as a family and color Easter eggs together. We would try to create different colors, designs and art work. My parents would hide them for us and we’d always go looking for them. It was always so much fun, but I think what made it even more fun was that we did it together as a family.

One year I remember my mom and dad had cut out construction paper footprints that lead us all around the house. Along the footprint path, a little Easter gift was placed. We had so much fun following our designated footprints to find our treasures! I’ll never forget doing that.

Another year I remember my mom coming in the bedroom Easter morning. The money had been a little tight but my parents wanted to give us a little gift regardless. I can remember very clearly my mom sitting on the bed saying, “we just wanted to give you something…” They had been able to purchase two cassette tapes of music and we each got one. It was so meaningful to us – even as a young child I remember that meaning a great deal to me.

When we could, each of us in the family was able to get a chocolate Cadbury egg. It was always such a treat! One year, instead of eating his, my dad split his Cadbury egg in two, put it on a plate and hid a half in each of our rooms. Then we were able to go look for them and eat the chocolate yumminess! It meant so much to us to have a little extra treat!

We always celebrated Easter together as a family and my parents always taught us that Easter was a time of celebrating Christ’s resurrection. I will always look back with fondness at the Easter's past. I only hope we can teach our children the joy and hope of Easter in the same ways our parents taught us. We are so thankful for their example.

The last few years I had the complete joy and blessing of being able to direct or co-direct the Easter Productions in our church in Manhattan. It brought me great joy to be able to share the Easter story through drama, music and multi-media. It was an amazing experience to share this time with our good friends who were always so willing to participate. I will never forget these experiences and will always look back at them as an incredibly amazing time. I loved being apart of each production and I loved working with each and every person who participated. I have so many wonderful memories of these Easters – from putting scripts and music together, to making videos, to creating – building – and decorating props and scenery, to practices, to the performances, to the fellowship with one another, to the Easter Day meals after a performance with friends.

I would love to hear about your Easter memories and/or traditions, so if you have a moment, post a few memories/traditions in the comments section. I would thoroughly enjoy reading them!

Since we’ve all been so sick, we sadly weren’t able to attend the Easter service today. After Luke’s afternoon nap, we dressed the boys in their Easter outfits and took some pictures though. We also gave Luke and Will some Easter presents. Tonight we will be sharing the Easter story with Luke and Will during our book reading time. I look forward to the traditions and memories we will make as a family throughout the years.

Luke seems to be feeling much much better. Will is still pretty miserable – and Chris and I are as well. =) Hopefully we’re not too far behind Luke in getting better!

I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed Easter!




The boys in their Easter outfits...





Easter gifts from Guka and MeMe (the ones we ordered haven't come in yet, but it's mostly new books.)


Cars!


Will got a bunny and a little book set from daddy and mommy...


Elmo does the chicken dance...


Candy!!!


Luke trying to share his candy with Will...


Look at that bunny!


Luke eating an M&M (pronounced "num-a-num...")


Smile!



Precious boy!


Cutie in overalls!



I wasn't able to find an Easter basket, so we used a bowl...here is Luke sitting in it!


Luke's pants were a little loose around the waist (he's lost a bit of weight since he's been sick) so he ended up taking them off - too funny!


Luke looking at his little Bible...


Beautiful boy!


Holding hands...

7 comments:

Annie said...

that last pic of them holding hands is so precious! And wow - will sure is a healthy chubby baby! I love chubby babies :)

I'm glad you all had a wonderful easter! God bless you
Annie

Anonymous said...

I love baby smiles! Will is too cute in those overalls! And I love the picture of Luke "reading" his Bible. He is so studious! Heehee - Jamie has pants-free moments, too! What is it about toddlers (mostly boys) that love nakedness??? :-) Hope you guys are doing well! We love you!
--Jenny and Jamie

Anonymous said...

I love baby smiles! Will is too cute in those overalls! And I love the picture of Luke "reading" his Bible. He is so studious! Heehee - Jamie has pants-free moments, too! What is it about toddlers (mostly boys) that love nakedness??? :-) Hope you guys are doing well! We love you!
--Jenny and Jamie

Anonymous said...

Ak! I have no idea how I double posted that! Sorry!

Unknown said...

Such cute pictures!! I can't believe how big Will is...I think he has bypassed Avery. Hope you all get to feeling better!

Love and miss you all!
Holly

Anonymous said...

We love your Easter memories. What a wonderful time that was.
The pictures of Luke and Will are so precious. They are growing up so fast. Can't wait until we get to see them.
You two are making so many menories. I knew you would be good parents.You are so special Mindy and Chris. We love you.
Grandma and Grandpa Shotts

Anonymous said...

We love your Easter memories. What a wonderful time that was.
The pictures of Luke and Will are so precious. They are growing up so fast. Can't wait until we get to see them.
You two are making so many menories. I knew you would be good parents.You are so special Mindy and Chris. We love you.
Grandma and Grandpa Shotts