Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Alone Again...

Everything is dark now. The fear set in this afternoon. What do we do? Where do we go? Luke's wailing echoes throughout the house, reinforcing the loneliness. Mindy lies on the bed, curled into a fetal position, crying. I remove my thumb from my mouth long enough to type these words. We are alone.

OK, things aren't that bad yet. Mom and Dad left this afternoon, and are in the air right now, returning back to the MD. They didn't look too distraught, but I think since Mom had a practice goodbye on Sunday that they were ready this time. I dropped them off at the airport just after noon (central time), and they should be home around 9 tonight (eastern time). It was a great two weeks, and they were a big help. I want to thank them again- this time publicly- for all their help and expertise. They have a track record of raising tremendously successful- and beautiful- children, so I relied on them a lot. So that makes a month and a half of continuous grandparent support, with both of our parents assisting over time. So now we're on our own...

It's a little scary on our own, but I feel very prepared (Mindy says she does too). I think I'll miss that third (or fourth) pair of hands to help us out, whether it's to run and grab a shower or whatever. But we'll make it. Both of our parents taught us lots, and I think we are ready to really take control...not that we weren't before, but you guys know what I mean. Luke seems indifferent so far, but once he realizes that he's stuck with just his mom and dad now, he may start to freak out a little.

So, here's more pictures. BTW, it's good to see that the comments are back. See, I told you I would fix it.


We came down and found Luke in Mom's suitcase...


They were trying to smuggle him through airport security...


Luckily we caught it just in time.


Mom's last few minutes with Luke...until she gets the shakes and buys a plane ticket back to Kansas


Luke appears to be smiling, but we all know what he's up to


At the airport...for good this time


That's the look of a full stomach


Inspired by Kobayashi, Mindy chooses hot dogs for lunch today. She just missed the record...


Luke, walking like an Egyptian

Happy 4th to everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's a scary thought to know you guys are parents. :) How time flies. I am extremely happy for you guys, though. Luke is a lucky child. Happy belated birthday, by the way, to the best former roommate in the history of roommates!

Anonymous said...

As long as you don't burn the house down, it will all be fine. And even if you do, you have renter's insurance, right?

Great to see pictures of the happy family. That swing-thing is the craziest baby contraption I've ever seen. He must up his IQ every second he's in there. Wow. And the bath pictures are so sweet. He looks very at ease in the water - perhaps he'll be a swimmer.

Happy b-lated Birthday to Mindy! Sounds like you had a good day, and what a great looking cake...

Thanks for sharing the photos and the milestones. It's great to see your family grow.

Anonymous said...

I love the suitcase pictures. I don't know why I didn't think of that....
Chris, you should be a writer.....I love your comments! I miss you all, Grandma Jan

Anonymous said...

July 8th....Luke's ONE MONTH BIRTHDAY!! It has come so fast!! Hope it is a great one!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ONE MONTH BIRTHDAY, LUKE! We miss being with you. Tell your parents to update some pictures of you since we didn't succeed in bringing you home in our suitcases.

Mom Mom and Grandpa Scott