Monday, August 10, 2009

Potty Training and Big Boy Beds!

Phew! What a day! Today was a day of a few first's for the kids.

Luke started potty training in earnest today. I've tried here and there to see if he was interested. He has shown faint sparks of interest here and there that fade quicker then they start. But I thought we'd give it a go this week.

Luke is the type of person that is leery of new things - until he tries it and sees that it's really not that bad. That was my hope with potty training. He was leery of using the potty - so maybe if he would try it and realize it's not so bad - he'd be ok with it.

Big boy underwear!

It was a day mixed with struggle and excitement. There were moments where I wondered if we would ever get anywhere - and moments of pure relief that we were indeed getting somewhere!

There was screaming, "I WANT MY DIAPER!!! I don't want to go on the potty!!" and there was squeals of joy and happiness when "going" on the potty was successful.

It was exhausting, but I think that it was a pretty good day all in all. We had three successes (one was a poopy!! Sorry if that's TMI!) and two accidents. I put him in a Pull Up for his nap (which was dry when he woke up) - and a diaper for bed time. Tomorrow we keep at it! I am so proud of Luke's accomplishments today!!

checking out the potty this morning


I had bought a toy "Sarge" from Wal-Mart awhile back and promised Luke that the first time he went potty on the potty, he could have Sarge. He knew that he had to earn him though, so that helped motivate him.

I knew he had to go potty pretty early on in the morning, but he held it even though I encouraged him to sit on the potty. (Though I do have to say, I kept feeling these very very tiny tiny little wet spots on the carpet that I couldn't figure out if it was him or a leaky sippy?) But finally at about 11:30am, he went a tiny bit in the potty. We had a huge celebration! Lots of hugs, lots of praise and then he got Sarge and immediately took off to find Filmore (in the movie CARS Sarge and Filmore are buds.) That's when he had his first accident (I guess he didn't completely empty his bladder in the potty.) It was all good though, because the most important thing is that he went on his potty! Accidents are inevitable.

Before his nap, he had a HUGE fit about wanting his diaper, but finally calmed down and was willing to give the potty a chance. This lead to great success! I realized this time that he really likes his privacy (which he mispronounced a few times today...hilarious! "I want my proybacy.")

Anyway, I promise I won't go into detail about my child's potty habits as a norm, but I just had to share a little about today - at least for memory's sake!

Froggy Potty!

I was very very proud of how great Luke did today! I know this is a process, but it's a relief to have started it. I've been dreading potty training for quite sometime now. The thought of being down to one in diapers is pretty exciting!

Will checking out Luke's potty


Two other first's happened today. Will is now officially in a big boy bed!!! This picture explains why it was finally absolutely necessary to make the change.

He hasn't climbed out - or fallen out yet - but we were moments away from one of those happening, so the change was made today.

bu-bye crib!

Luke moved up to a twin size bed (another first for him) and Will got Luke's toddler bed. Since Will's new bed was Luke's old bed, he was very familiar with it. In fact, he had even napped on it once awhile back when there was some work being done in my/his room. So I was hopeful that the transition would go smoothly.

Nap time was his first experience sleeping in it as his own bed. It took him a lot longer to fall asleep but he only got up a few times and had a few crying spells. Then he read his books (something he did in his crib too) for awhile and eventually fell asleep.

He did fantastic tonight - I'm sure he got up a few times because I found a few extra books in his bed when I went to check on him after he had fallen asleep, but for the most part, he stayed in bed reading his books before he finally drifted off to sleep. Once again it took him longer than usual, but I think he's just trying to get used to a new bed - and a new location for his bed.

I am so proud of my little boy! I can't believe he's old enough to be in a toddler bed! Unbelievable! He's growing up so fast!

Luke and Will would kiss goodnight through the crib - it was so cute!



Will sleeping in his big boy bed!


Luke is in a temporary twin bed right now - we're looking to get him a car bed, but finding one is a challenge. The cool thing about his bed right now is it used to be his daddy and Uncle Randy's bed! He loves being in a bigger bed and feels like such a big boy in it. Once again, I can't believe my children are growing up SO fast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such sweet pics! Ma

Amber said...

Ahhh...so sweet!