Friday, August 21, 2009

Monitoring...


As some of you may know, I had to wear a Cardiac Heart Monitor for a 30 day period. It wasn't so bad really. Only 2 wires on my chest and the monitoring devise fit right on my waistband. If I felt a symptom, I would press the huge red button and the monitor would record 30 seconds before the symptom and 30 seconds after. It made a very high pitched noise when it recorded, so recording in a public place was quite a challenge. After I had 3 recordings, I would call in to the monitoring center, press the huge red button again and put the devise up to the phone so that my readings could be transmitted to the center. After they received the readings, I'd press the huge red button again to erase them, clip the thing back on my waistband and start over. I probably sent in about 30 recordings.

So why did I have to wear this thing for 30 days? Well, the symptoms I have been experiencing for quite some time are heart palpitations (mild to take-your-breath-away-super-uncomfortable), chest pain, and a racing heartbeat...and they all came at completely random times. Though the symptoms never seemed to lead to anything serious, I thought it would be wise to at least get it checked out...just to be on the safe side. So my doctor ordered a complete echocardiogram and was given this monitor to wear for a month.

Earlier this week I went in for my results. Much to my immense relief, my condition is neither life OR health threatening. Though the symptoms can be scary, painful and very uncomfortable it seems that I'm only experiencing Premature Ventricular Contractions, in short, PVCs. It's basically an early heartbeat. Of course then your heart has to "right" itself again, so that's where the palpitation comes into play....or something like that. =) There are triggers that can set it off - certain cold medicines, stress, caffeine, and a HUGE possibility is my enlarged thyroid.

My doctor said I could treat it medicinally if I wanted to - go on a low dose of blood pressure medicine - but I ultimately decided not to. I'd rather not be on medication if I don't have to be - not to mention my blood pressure is on the low side anyway and I'd rather not do anything to mess it up. I'll endure the symptoms as long as I know they aren't health threatening.

So, I am praising God for such a good follow-up! Now I know what's going on in my heart, and knowing brings so much peace!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah - glad to hear that the monitor process is over and that the results are "good". Hope you are having a great weekend!

Miss you all!
Holly

kimberly said...

I get those too mindy! they are so weird.... I remember that I thought they meant I had some serious heart condition and was so relieved to find out it was just a weird thing. so glad you're in the clear :)

Anonymous said...

I have the same thing! I also wore the monitor, but only for 24 hours when I was about 15. I found that they get worse or more frequent when I haven't had enough sleep, am stressed, am hungry, am nervous, and newly discovered when I have had aspartame. They were so bad when I had something that had a lot in it. They are scary, but easily manageable. Exercising helps too!

-Ser Ser

Anonymous said...

That was what I was wondering, Mindy. MSG or aspartame cause my heart to do strange things.
Jane Andrews McClung

Anonymous said...

Mindi, glad to hear everything is ok and glad you are done with the monitor! miss you-michelle