Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sleep…what is that again?

I miss sleep. I’m not even sure I know what sleep is anymore. =) When I was pregnant with Luke – I don’t remember having a hard time falling to sleep – I do however remember throwing mini-temper tantrums when I woke up for the 3rd or 4th time in the middle of the night to have to go to the bathroom. I vividly remember muttering under my breath and stomping to the bathroom – seething the whole time. Then Luke came along – and what a joy and blessing he is, but sleep has never come easy to the little guy. In fact, he didn’t start consistently sleeping through the night until he was a year old. And – if baby/toddler doesn’t sleep through the night – neither does mommy. Enter Baby Bee – just as Luke begins to sleep through the night. =) I have had the worst time sleeping with this pregnancy. Here is a typical night: Even though I’m exhausted all day long – I can’t for the life of me fall asleep. I go to bed – read a low-key book (which has always worked in the past) and wait until my eyes are too heavy to read another word. I lay the book aside and toss and turn amongst my mountain of pillows until I find a semi-comfortable position. Then I close my eyes and BING – my brain turns on. I can’t stop thinking about stuff....“The baby will be here soon…I need to do this and this and this and this…” “This and that is going on – and I need to get ready for it in these ways…” “This situation is happening – how do we deal with it…” And so on and so on…So – I try to focus on relaxing and not thinking. As I relax – Baby Bee wakes up and starts rolling around – kicking, punching, dancing…on top of my bladder of course. I try to hold off – but a pregnant lady just can’t hold off that long – no matter how hard you try. So I roll (yes, literally roll) out of bed – stomp down to the bathroom – stomp back – try to find a comfortable position and close my eyes. Awww – sleep is starting to claim me – finally! Then – from the other room – Luke wakes up from a nightmare or a tummy ache or something along those lines – screaming at the top of his lungs. I wait to see if it’s serious. He continues to scream…I roll out of bed…go to check on him. He’s upset – must calm him. Finally he calms down – and I attempt do go back to bed…find a comfortable position – close my eyes…and then my bladder signals again – “I just went!” I tell my bladder. “Too bad” my bladder laughs an evil laugh. I throw the covers off – stomp back down to the bathroom…and it just goes on like that – a vicious circle. Finally in the wee hours of early morning – my body takes matters into its own hands and falls asleep. A few short hours later – Luke is wide awake demanding release from his poopy diaper and crib. Sigh – I feel like I just fell asleep. =) Maybe Baby Bee will sleep through the night before his first birthday…

Speaking of sleep – I have recently come across some information about a sleep issue I’ve had ever since I was a teenager. It’s called Sleep Paralysis. Most people look at me like I’m from outer space when I talk about it – but it’s comforting to know that it’s an actual condition – and one that isn’t harmful in the least. What I always perceived to happen in one of these episodes is that my brain would wake up before my body would – leaving me unable to move or talk or anything – and yet be completely aware of what is going on around me. It’s always a scary feeling – and very unnerving. Sometimes I feel like I can’t breathe – or that someone is in the room and I need to wake up so I can talk to them. But for the life of me – I can’t move or talk. I can open my eyes though. I know – it’s weird. After several episodes as a teenager – I finally figured out that if I could make myself go back to sleep – then wake up again – my body and brain would wake up together. It’s quite bizarre – and I always dread an episode – as on occasion I still have them – but after reading a little about it, I feel better knowing that there isn’t something wrong with me when it happens – and I’m not the only one that deals with it. Here is a link to the actual description of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis.

So – my question is – has anyone else ever had one of these episodes? From the articles I’ve read – it sounds more common then I ever thought. It makes me realize how powerful our brains are! I read somewhere once that we only use about 10% of our potential brain power…imagine what it would be like to unlock the other 90%!!! =)

Anyway – I know this was an odd blog – but hey – it’s what was on my mind…=)

Now I must go clean…for the millionth time…the cleaning never ends…ahhhhh!

Here are more pictures from our continued decorating...it's still not finished - we just do a little at a time. Maybe by Christmas, we'll have it all up. =)


Luke enjoyed putting up the tinsel...


Putting up the first ornament...

4 comments:

Teniah Ashlyn said...

Hey, hey, hey, sleepy girl.....VERY interesting blog - I have never heard of the sleeping paralysis thing, but that makes perfect sense and I'm sure it was reassuring to know that you aren't alone in it. (I don't have that issue, but I haven't really slept in over five years so does that count!! haha..Iraq totally ruined me, and then there was Korea - forever being woken up in the middle of the night to talk to my darling husband...Yes, "us poor women" are doomed forever to sleepless nights......I truly feel your pain and have the deepest sympathy for you. I know you are getting to that "miserable" point in your pregnancy where the comfort level is just non-reachable. You are constantly on my mind and heart and I think of you all the time....Have you tried yoga and relaxation techniques before bed? You might think about burning a soothing candle, putting on some soft meditative music and doing some breathing techniques? It's a thought.....sometimes it helps me.....Thanks for sharing with us so we know what you are going through and how to pray for you!!! Love you!!

Lorie said...

Oh my goodness, Mindy, I have sleep paralysis. I didn't know it was called that, but it's happened several times in my adult life. I find it kind of scary and the only thing that gets me out of it is to try to jerk my head quickly and wake myself up. But usually, I can't even do that. I never thought about relaxing enough to just fall back to sleep. Hopefully, I'll remember this little blog update of yours next time I'm in my sleep paralysis mode!

Anonymous said...

your baby/sleep blog made me giggle even though I feel sooo bad for you because I know how awful lack of sleep is! I only image what with having 1.7 little ones!

And yes, I have totally had sleep paralysis!! I seriously freaked the first time and it was a number of years before I discovered what it was!

I hope it gets better for you, maybe Baby Bee will be one of those who sleeps through the night right away ^_^

Oh, and the monkey with banana pics are so very cute!

kimberly said...

I have that too!!! I thought I was the only one and I was a freak! It doesn't happen very much anymore, but it did a lot in college. it was usually when I was taking a nap (which....would explain why it doesn't really happen anymore, sniff)