Monday, August 05, 2013

First Day of School - 2013/2014


Today was our first day of school for the 2013/2014 school year! I've been working on lesson planning, cleaning the school room and getting organized in little snippets of time here and there. Thankfully I felt decently prepared going into today.  


Armed with two cups of coffee already bubbling in my veins, we started class at 9:00am. We took "First Day" pictures and then hit the books right away (with an additional cup of coffee for the teacher.)
 

Luke was very nervous about being a second grader. He was terrified it would be really hard right off the bat. Thankfully today gave him a confidence boost. Once he started his work, the things he feared he'd forgotten over the summer came back to him quickly.



 



 Will was a bit apprehensive about starting school, too. I don't think he was quite ready to give up his summer freedoms. However, once we got rolling, he seemed to enjoy himself. He even said he liked school by the end - phew!!! Now ask him that in about a month and we'll see if his answer is the same.
 
We had a few snags here and there. I forgot to print some things which resulted in a few extra brain breaks for them (they weren't complaining about that!) Honestly, Owen was probably my biggest challenge today. (I know, I know - he looks completely  innocent and angelic in this picture!) And don't get me wrong - I love Owey dearly - but he can be a grouch sometimes! And today he was just having a down.right.grouchy.day. I ended putting him down for an early nap which seemed to be what he needed.  His mood has improved since then and he's back to being super cute Owey!


So overall, I feel like we had a successful first day! I'll blog more about the specifics of our curriculum in another blog. More to come!

No comments: