Friday, April 10, 2009

Coloring Easter Eggs!

One of my favorite activities at Easter time when I was a child was coloring Easter eggs with my family. It was so much fun! I can vividly remember my mom boiling the eggs in an old yellow pan then we'd mix food coloring in cups, get spoons out and start dipping our eggs. It's definitely a tradition I want to pass along to my children.

I thought Will was a little young this year...he'd either attempt to eat the eggs...or crush them all...so I thought it would be best to wait until he was in bed tonight to start our evening of egg coloring. Next year we can do it as a whole family-I hope! Chris should be here and Will will be old enough to join in.


I used the Paas kit from the store (it has the coloring tablets, stickers, etc) and got our cups ready. I had hard boiled the eggs earlier this evening so they were ready to go. We used the vinegar method with the tablets (3Tbs vinegar and 1/2 cup of water with the color tablet(s).)


I sat Luke on the table because his booster was just too low for him to see what was going on. He thought it was a pretty cool treat to sit on the table. He loved looking at all the cups full of bright colored water. I let him put the eggs in the colors he wanted and we waited and watched as they turned vibrant colors. He was so impressed! I loved watching him watch the eggs. Once we were satisfied with our eggs, we put them out to dry. It was a fun evening and a great memory.


Here are pictures!


Dropping the first egg into the water...


Trying to see the egg in the cup...


Luke was having such a good time!


Watching and waiting for the eggs to turn just the right color...


He loved holding the eggs before they went into the water...


Our vibrant Easter eggs!


Checking out the final product...


Putting them up for the night!